Pharmacy Naloxone Access in California
Throughout the summer and fall of 2015, pharmacies across California will begin making the opiate overdose reversal drug naloxone available without a prior prescription. Thanks to a new law co-sponsored by Drug Policy Alliance, AB 1535, Californians are now able to purchase naloxone directly from a participating local pharmacist, either with cash or in some cases, private insurance. Pharmacists who wish to dispense naloxone must complete an approved web-based training, and customers purchasing naloxone must also receive a brief in-store training on its use.
Please note: Prices and formulations of naloxone may vary from store to store. Consumers are encouraged to call their local pharmacy to confirm pharmacy pricing and participation in this new program.
List of Participating Pharmacies in California
The Drug Policy Alliance is proud to support the effort to share information about participating pharmacies and will update this list periodically. If your local pharmacy is stocking and selling naloxone and you don’t see it listed here, please contact Meghan Ralston with any details at mralston [at] drugpolicy [dot] org.
Chain Pharmacies and Supermarkets
- CVS - Virtually all California CVS pharmacies now make naloxone available without a prescription. See a partial list.
- SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY: Quick Care Pharmacy, 9397 Haven Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA (866) 393-8116
- SAN FRANCISCO COUNTY: Mission Wellness Pharmacy, 2424 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA, (415) 826-3484
- SANTA BARBARA COUNTY: Pain Management Pharmacy, 2003 S. Miller St., Santa Maria, CA (805) 928-4700
- SANTA CLARA COUNTY: Evergreen Pharmacy, 2690 S. White Rd #200-A, San Jose, CA; (408) 270-0670
Information for Pharmacists
If you are a pharmacist currently stocking and selling naloxone and do not see your pharmacy listed here, please contact Meghan Ralston mralston [at] drugpolicy [dot] org